Reddit is what we call a social news aggregation platform.
Users submit content, like posts, links, images, and videos, which are voted up and down by other members.
With an average of 50M daily active unique users, Reddit is a venue to explore when promoting yourself or your business.
But be careful :) Reddit can make you an authority on your subject or ruin your reputation.
Because it’s the only platform with that many users and exposure that has “negative votes”.
When using branded profiles, that can be a killer.
Here are a couple of donts you should keep in mind when using Reddit:
- Don’t spam.
- Don’t insult other members or pick up fights.
- Don’t troll.
- Don’t be racist, sexist, or hateful.
- Don’t have unpopular opinions.
- Don’t leave vague statements, especially when some redditors find them offensive.
- Don’t comment solely to promote your business.
- Don’t complaint about downvotes.
Here are a couple of dos to complete the list:
- Make sure your comments are on track, respond to the question(s), or complete the subject.
- Add value and bring more information not yet covered by other comments.
- Add references when available from sources other than yourself.
One last and important note: never hesitate to delete any participation receiving negative votes to control the damage :)